Common Questions of Child Support Recipients

Posted on

Every child does have two parents even if only one of those parents has custody of the child. If you are the custodial parent, you may be entitled to child support to help you cover the costs of care. Here is a look at a few of the questions you may have. 

Does the custodial parent have to show proof of how funds were used?

Most states will not require you to show any proof of how you spend the child support money. The only time the court will usually step in is if concerns are raised because the child's needs are obviously neglected. 

Can you use child support to pay for your own medical bills?

If you have medical bills that come up because you get sick or have an injury and you have to use your child support to cover some of those costs, it is not something you can get in trouble for doing. As the primary caregiver for the child, your needs are important as well. In other words, if you are sick with no way to pay for your doctor visit or medical care, it can make it difficult to care for the child. 

When is it OK to ask for more money?

There can be situations when you may find that the child support you are getting is just not enough. However, you do have to keep in mind that the payments are usually calculated based on the income of the payer, and the court will never advise that they pay so much that it will make it impossible for them to support themselves. It is a good idea to speak with an attorney about child support raises if: 

What happens if you no longer want child support?

In most states, child support is a mandated thing. If you were awarded child support by the court, it will be paid by the other parent unless something changes about the custody arrangement. However, in some states, if you make substantially more money than the other parent and would prefer they didn't have to pay, you can submit a request to the court to either dismiss or decrease the payments. If the court does not approve this measure, it is a good idea to just add the funds to a savings account for your child. 

For more information, contact local professionals like those found at Dawn M Ogrodny PC.